GPS Co-ordinates: 10.71999, -85.04227
Casitas Tenorio is located on the foothills of Volcano Tenorio about 2.5km from the village of Bijagua in Northern Costa Rica. We are located about 10km from the entrance to the Volcano Tenorio National Park where Rio Celeste is located.
You can travel directly to Bijagua by bus from San Jose, Liberia, Cañas or Upala. Click here or here for the bus timetable. You can also arrange a shuttle or private driver. Contact us for further information.
Downloadable PDF Driving instructions and maps
• Take the Route #27 and travel towards Puntarenus
• Exit and take Route #1 north towards Liberia
• Follow Route #1 until you reach Canas
• About 6 km north of Canas, turn right onto Route #6
• Follow this road for about 38 km to the town of Bijagua.
Approximate travel time: 3.5hrs
Please note that ease instructions are written from the Daniela Oduber Airport. If departing from Liberia central skip the first two directions.
• Depart the Daniel Oduber International Airport and turn left onto route #21
• Travel 16km/10miles until you reach Liberia
• Turn right on to Highway #1
• Continue ( 32.5 miles / 50 km) to the junction with Highway #6
• Turn Left on Route #6 north towards Upala
• Travel along this route for about 38kms.
Approximate travel time: 1.5hrs
There are four ways in which you can travel by road from La Fotuna or El Castillo towards Bijagua. We recommend a journey along the lake and then past Tierras Morenas.
• Depart La Fotuna and take the Route #142 along Lake Arenal towards Tilarana
• Travel for about 47km from the dam near Guadalajara
• You will notice a sign for Hotel Mystica. Turn right here onto Route #927
• After 7.5km (and 500m before Tierras Morenas) Turn right onto a gravel road
• Travel along this road for about 15km and then you will arrive at route #6
• Turn right here and drive along the paved road towards Bijagua.
Approximate travel time: 2.5hrs
Please note that these directions are for when you approach from the south along Route #6. If coming from the north turn left before the ‘Super El Mercaditio’.
Pass the cemetery on your left and then the Banco Nacional and police station on your right
• Continuing towards the centre of town you will pass the Pizzaria ‘El Barrigon’ and the restaurant ‘Las Tinajitas’
• You will then pass the Mussmani Bakery and it’s orange sign. On the corner there is the ‘Super El Mercadito’. Turn right at this corner
• Continue up the hill passing a soccer field and the high school on your right
• Keep left at the next two ‘y’ intersections. Follow the signs to Castias Tenorio
• The road is rocky and gravel. We recommend a car with high wheel clearance.
Approximate travel time: 5 mins